Thursday 27 June 2013

Don't Look Sick, Even Though You Are


"You look great!" "Thanks! Looks like the pounds of makeup I dumped on my face are working!"



I don't actually feel better when I'm all dolled up. But at least emotionally I do, and I feel pretty. That to me is pretty worth it. I have a couple of tricks to distract the eye away from the physical signs of illness, because people typically admire health and equate it to beauty (I don't always do this, sometimes I love the way I look when I'm tired and pale. I know, I'm weird). So, here they are. 

Have at 'er:


1. Conceal, don't reveal.
    She looks very optimistic...
    • I'm pretty sure you all know what I mean. Constant fatigue leaves us chronically ill folks with the nastiest of under eye circles. There's really no way to deal with this other than to slap on that concealer. If you have bluish circles, choose a concealer with a salmon or peach tint, if your circles are reddish, choose something with a yellow base. 
2. Culla. 
    What a lovely healthy glow!
    • If you don't have any friends from the hood, say that word out loud. Yes. It means colour. I'm talking about blush. A good pink, peach or coralcoloured blush without too much shimmer can help keep you from looking like you've lost blood (you probably have lost blood).






3. Scrubadubdub
    That's right, you're happy.
    • The only way to get rid of dry flaky, dead skin is to take it off. Nothing else can save it. Invest in a good exfoliating scrub to use in the shower. Think of it like shedding your dead, sick, skin to make space for new, healthy skin. 






4. Moistia
    • Again, pronounce it out loud. Just like Gammy Num Num from that horrid movie "The Master of Disguise" give your skin some moisture. Drink water and load on some lotion. Dry skin makes you look dehydrated (you probably are dehydrated). 






5. Shine
    Look at those luscious locks!
    • Your hair. I always spray the bottom half with a nourishing shine spray. Your hair becomes dull when you don't get enough nutrients, so I pretend like I do, by spraying fake health all over me!



6. Layer
    This might be a TAD much. 
    • Whether you've put on weight or lost it, layering helps you control your body temperature, and hide whatever body your health is giving you at the moment. 







7. SPF
    Lather up!
    • I don't know why, but a ton of medications make people very sensitive to the sun. I know a lot of people who argue that a tan makes you look healthier. Ok, a tan. But I'm half dutch the rest irish and french. I don't tan. I burn. Like chocolate chips. Or a leaf. Or human hair. Something that burns easily. Just protect yourself from the sun. It's better. I promise.


8. Vampy Pout
    Dem lips. 
    • I'll be honest, I don't even know if this works. But if i'm feeling really sick and really down on myself I put on a dark lip colour. Whether it's red, plum, or a deep rose, I feel like the boldness of the pucker just catches people by surprise and for at least a second they're taken aback and forget I look like crap in every other respect. 



Whether it boosts your confidence or literally erases your signs of illness, any tips are useful. If you have any share them below, I'd love to try 'em out!





No comments:

Post a Comment