Monday 17 June 2013

How to Apologize

"Sorry." "Can you say that like you mean it?" 

I have a problem apologizing. I don't know how much of it is my personality or how much of it is being Canadian, but I apologize for everything, whether it's my fault or not. If someone bumps into me on the sidewalk, I say sorry. If I forget to close the window on a rainy day, if I forget something someone told me one time that was of little significance, I say sorry. I over apologize to the nines.

However, I'd rather over apologize than not know how to at all.

Some people see apologizing for something as weakness, they're hostile and reluctant to say sorry because they regard it as admitting they were wrong or at fault. 

Apologizing is not always admitting you are wrong. I've apologized for countless things without stating I was wrong, or that the other person was right. 

Apologizing is taking responsibility and showing remorse for the damage that your words, actions, behaviours and choices have caused another person. 

Apologizing acknowledges the other person's feelings, regardless of what you are apologizing for. 

That's why people say "I'm so sorry" when someone is experiencing a loss. Last time I checked, 99% of the world's population isn't murderers, so why is it that we can say "sorry" at a funeral for a death that isn't your fault, but not over the dinner table when your sibling takes your joke a little too seriously?

There are two things you can say when you apologize: "I'm sorry" and "What can I do to fix this?". Anything else, and it gets complicated. This bare bones apology might seem skimpy, but it is genuine, and sincere. 

It's just a matter of realizing that people's feelings are more important than being right, or free of "fault", we all need to swallow our pride, and value our relationships with people who are important to us more than our own stubbornness.

Try to keep the peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment